Thursday, August 19, 2010

Balcony Success


The balcony was the only thing on Justin's must-have list when we were searching for a new apartment. Considering how much time he actually spends on the balcony, it was not an unreasonable request. Justin's love for balconies has made our balcony project enjoyable- as we were able to finish it together. After several trips to Home Depot and a trial and error experiment, we managed to put it all together.

Our first goal was to put up the privacy screen around the balcony. This would make our space less exposed all while providing us with shade. The screen was definitely the most time consuming part. Justin was able to finish the screen with minimal amounts of ripples. Sure he deserves the credit but I assisted in handing him the zip ties. I consider it a semi-team effort.

In this photo:
the first planter goes up and the screen is partially complete!




My sole responsibility was to put together the planters. This would be a crucial part of our project since we had to compete with the beautifulness that is our neighbor's balcony across the courtyard. In the end we were able to put together a decent collection of plants. I decided against planting flowers because they are just too difficult for me to keep alive. I wish I could pride myself on my green thumb but unlike my mom, I will have to work ridiculously hard to keep my plants going until winter.

On my side of the balcony lives my Buddha who found a new home within our little tree.


Our balcony has become one of our favorite spots in the apartment. We spend as much time as possible outdoors and have come to really enjoy the space. My lack of photography skills does not do our balcony justice. Come enjoy it with us in person!


2 comments:

Trish said...

You guys are so cute. I have two balconies and they are a wreck! Randy just began beautifying them with some plants. But he has to keep them alive, because if it's left up to me, they will die. Sad but true. I even have the capacity to kill a cactus.
Your apartment courtyard reminds me of a building in the movie Singles. Have you ever seen it? Anyhow, it looks great!

Courtney S said...

It's beautiful!! When do I get to see it again?!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...