Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Kindle-Bound

I am going to blame my lack of posts on my current reading frenzy. Yes, that's right- with all of this leisurely reading I have been doing lately, I just can't seem to find the time to blog. You would assume that with all of the fun-reading I have been doing, I would have come across some recommendation-worthy books. This assumption is correct as I would highly recommend the books I have recently come across.

Jonathan Tropper's book basically started the reading marathon I currently find myself in. I had not heard anything about this book but happened to stumble upon it while meandering through the bookstore. The cover caught my attention-I suppose it was the simplicity of it all, and I found myself taking the book home. I have no intention of giving a synopsis. If this cover catches your attention or if I have influenced you enough by writing about it on my blog, go find a copy. It is a fast and easy read.

Days after finishing my first book, I immediately went searching for my next read. I had seen Blue Boy on the shelf numerous times during my bookstore visits and this time I decided to
buy it. I immediately empathized with the main character and I thoroughly enjoyed immersing myself in the Indian culture. The completion of this book also started a week-long Bollywood film obsession on our Netflix.

If you saw this cover, would you not be curious? Without thinking twice, I purchased the book and dove in. I originally assumed that this book would consist of fictional cadaver characters going about their afterlives. I was wrong. This turned out to be my first non-fiction book in quite some time. If you have ever wondered about what it means to donate your body to science, read this book. Who knew? This was definitely one of the most interesting books I have picked up in awhile. Yes, I highly recommend it- unless you are thoroughly creeped out by the thought of cadavers and gruesome details.

I decided to save the most shameful part for last. I have seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo everywhere, and I am certain you have too. I refused to read the book let alone check the back cover to see what the hype was all about. Once the announcement of a future movie was announced, it only solidified my refusal to give this book a chance.

Somehow, somewhere, I felt the urge to read a review on the book. Almost immediately, I knew I had misjudged this book. It turned out to be a book in the genre I enjoy most- crime and mystery. How could I have not known this? As I bought my copy at Target, I felt like the ultimate trendy-bandwagoner. I am only 200-something pages in but I have no regrets. I am tempted to look up how the book ends online because the curiosity is eating me alive. The worse part? I have not been able to take the train lately which means my opportunity to pick up the book and read has decreased substantially. I must finish this book NOW.

Happy reading!











2 comments:

Sarina said...

I want to read all of the "The Girl Who.." books and see what the fuss is about too!

Trish said...

I have yet to read The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo. Like you, I shy away from books that tend to get screamed about all over the place. But I do want to read it. Perhaps I will wait until all the buzz is over...

The cadaver book looks sooo interesting. But I don't know if I could read it! It might make me sick!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...