I know we already went over this in a previous post but I am astonished at all of the opportunities the Blackhawks have given us as fans.
I didn't win season tickets or anything but the ability to experience the all-so-many-different aspects of the team and organization never ceases to amaze me. I'm not sure why I never posted about this but Justin and I went to a pre-season game vs. the Red Wings with our friends Amanda and Paul. During the game we were approached by "The Fans Voice" program and filled out some questionnaires. Big deal.
One random day I received a call from someone at the Blackhawks organization. Apparently, I had been selected to participate in a focus group. I was to call back for more information, otherwise they would have to move down the list and select someone else. Looking at our calendar, the Standby (official fan club) meeting was the same night. I assumed it was somehow related. I later found out that in order to attend this focus group, I would have to miss the Standby meeting. Upon finding out that I would be receiving a $100 gift card to the Blackhawks store, I committed. Justin would attend the Standby meeting and I would attend the focus group. Problem solved!
I got stuck doing glaucoma evaluations on a patient and ran way behind schedule. By the time I left, I was already passed the mandatory [please show up by this time] time. Being late turned out to be a good thing and here is why.
I walked into the doors in front of the Jordan statue to the front desk. The security guard was chatting away on his phone and paid no attention to me and my need to get going. Once he was done discussing his plans for the night with a pal, he checked me in and told me to enter through the "authorized personnel only" doors. Awesome. I waited for the elevator as directed and found myself slightly panicked about my current tardiness.
Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder followed by a "hey, how's it going?" Do I know someone that works here? I turned around to find that I had officially met Denis Savard. Also known as my old man crush. I gathered my composure, replied and smiled all the way up the elevator. I made my way through the front office of the Blackhawks organization and made it to some fancy conference room. There were seven others around a conference table and I instantly spotted the seat with my name printed on a name card. We met some fancy people in suits, they made us sign a disclosure form and informed us that this meeting would be recorded for internal purposes.
For 90 minutes I answered questions about how I became a fan, my perspective on the organization and all things Blackhawks and discussed my experience as a fan. Before I knew it, the meeting had ended and I was well on my way with a bag full of Blackhawks goodies (mostly past giveaways), a card and a hundred bucks. For my friends who are basketball fans, I saw the Bulls front office and thought of you.
I checked my phone at the end of the meeting and saw this,

Damn it.
Justin was in a completely different part of the United Center than I was but apparently, his trip was not without its own worth. He got to put on the actual Stanley Cup ring! We are talking $30,000 on Justin's finger! And he also got Denis Savard's autograph. Was my experience that night better than Justin's? Who knows! I suppose it is all perspective. What I do know is that the both of us are thrilled to be fans of an organization that allows such accessibility to the team. What more could you ask for? We are lucky to be Blackhawks fans!
1 comment:
This is awesome...everything but your last score "reminder" We just don't need to see stuff like that...well, at least I don't.
You seem to both be very lucky!
And by the way, you are way behind on postings missy! You still need to cover your Thanksgiving adventures/CA circus trip!
♥
Post a Comment