Let me begin by apologizing (again) for my lack of posts. This post is totally out of order since I should be writing about the Blackhawks parade but that is a hard post to tackle and I will continue to procrastinate and postpone until I work up enough writing energy to attempt such a monster.
I consider myself a lucky person but not in ways that win me the lotto. I enter as many sweepstakes and contests as possible, especially when it comes to the Blackhawks but I have yet to win an all-inclusive trip to a road game or tickets to a playoff game. Then there is my friend Sarina. I swear she wins everything. Speaking in terms of contests, raffles and sweepstakes, she is definitely the luckiest person I know.
Little did I know that when Justin and I decided to join the Blackhawks
Standby (the official fan club of the Chicago Blackhawks!), our luck would change. We went to the first members meeting held at the United Center. We had no plans on missing the meeting in hopes that we would finally get a [closer and more
intimate] glimpse of the Stanley Cup.
Both Justin and I left work early and headed down to a place we had not visited in almost a month. We were greeted with free parking and upon identifying ourselves at the front desk with our fancy membership cards, I spotted Eddie Olczyk mingling amongst members as if they were old friends. Justin tried convincing me to ask for a photo but I was a bit star struck and way to embarassed to do such a thing. Regretting my decision not to ask him for a photo almost immediately, we continued on with thoughts of Lord Stanley's Cup and enjoyed dollar food at the concession stand. Those who have overpaid for bottled water, cruddy hot dogs and snacks should understand why this is a prize in itself! This also put into perspective how badly they rip you off at games.
We took our seats and as the meeting progressed, all Justin and I could think about was whether or not the cup was in the building. We closely observed all the important people around us to get a better sense of what was happening. We knew the cup was making an appearance at The Taste of Chicago around the same time as the meeting which added to our anxiety of not seeing the Cup. Our hopes and dreams were crushed when they announced that Jay Blunk and John Mcdonough had to excuse themselves from the meeting to make an appearance at Taste. I can't speak for Justin but at that point I had given up all hope of ever seeing the Stanley Cup. The meeting continued and they announced the two raffle giveaways for the night's meeting. One lucky winner would win a combination of an autographed photo of Brian Campbell, a signed Troy Brouwer puck and an additional puck signed by Dave Bolland.
"And the winner is...Meesa Maeng (my last name pronounced incorrectly, of course). "
I remember looking over at Justin in disbelief. Embarrassed and shocked at the same time, I raised my hand and began the long walk towards the stage. Oh my god, Eddie Olczyk and Troy Murray are waiting for me on stage. OH MY GOD, I actually won something. I was greeted by Eddie-O and Troy Murray shook my hand as I stepped on stage. Wow, look at all the jealous people in the stands. Eddie Olczyk congratulated me, handed me my things and suggested that we take a photo. Murray suggested that I should stand in the middle and I did not object. Before I knew it, the Blackhawks TV guy was snapping photos. Once our photo opportunity ended, Eddie-O brought out the Blackhawks bag and continued to insist that I put all of my winnings into this bag. How do you say no to Eddie Olczyk?
The second prize was an autographed Hossa Jersey. Damn. But did the guy get his photo with Eddie Olczyk and Troy Murray? Don't think so.
Here's the proof:

Oh wait, here's better proof:

By the time I had composed myself from all the excitement, an announcement about a "surprise" was made. Justin and I knew exactly what this meant. We were going to see the Cup! Not only were we given the opportunity to be near the Stanley Cup but we were able to touch it and take a photo with it. All day at work, I had worked out how I would pose with the Cup in my head. When I came face to face with the cup, I was thrown off by how far the table came out and I got this cruddy photo. Poor camera choice and possibly a poor photographer is also to blame. Oh well. I touched the Cup!
Justin was smart enough to go after me and got two photo opportunities. We got a picture with my camera as well as with the official photographer.

Pretty eventful blog, right? Well, it doesn't end there. Before I knew it, the Blackhawks TV guy was standing next to me trying to remember my name. His best attempt resulted in my name being Misu but I didn't mind.. my name isn't the easiest of names to remember. He wanted to interview me for Blackhawks TV. I reluctantly said yes knowing that I would be horrendous. He assured me that they have great editing skills and it would come out perfectly. I was asked three questions (that I cannot recall) and before I knew it, it was over. I'm pretty sure my segment won't be making it on Blackhawks TV but I can say that I once stood in front of the same camera and mic that everyone who matters on the Blackhawks team did.
As Blackhawks fans, we will never forget this day.
All I need now is for Cristobal Huet to sign my jersey.
1 comment:
haha this is an AMAZING sports fan-related win. I never win anything awesome related to the Lakers! You definitely have more sports luck than me hahha. Must have been a cool experience.
Post a Comment