Sunday, July 31, 2011

Dramatic Flying

After being delayed for four hours with no explanations, I made it to Las Vegas.

In my brilliant attempt to avoid layovers and save a little on airfare, I reluctantly booked my flight with Spirit Airline. I had exahusted all other flight and cost options and really had no choice. Known as the airline that charges for every little thing, including water, I went in prepared and expecting the worst. Even though I had checked in online, I had to wait in line for them to give me my boarding pass. Printing your boarding pass was an additional fee and electronic kiosks were non-existant. Nonchalantly, the girl at the ticket counter handed me my ticket and informed me that my flight time had changed. Hm, no email or notification? Okay, fine not a big deal.

Making my way through the terminals, I find myself all the way in the back with deserted ticket counters and seating areas with well, the bare minimum of seats. Joy, this is it. Everyone but the lucky ten are sitting on the ground. This part of the terminal looked as if it were still under construction. Nobody was behind the ticket counter and there were no monitors to check on the status of our flights. Thank god I am a smartphone user because I would have been completely clueless. I was shocked to find that the flight was now delayed an additonal hour from the already delayed hour. Still, no sign of any Spirit employees. Not a single announcement informing passengers of the delay. After a long walk down to Starbucks I checked my phone again to find that the flight was now delayed three hours from the original departure time. Meal voucher time! I never collected mine because the line was outrageous but everyone around me claimed the seven dollars did not get them very far.

For the first time, an announcement about our flight. It was delayed a fourth hour.

All hell broke lose. I was lucky enough to snatch a seat by the ticket counter when everyone jumped in line to collect their meal vouchers and this gave me front row seats to the filming of a Jerry Springer- Spirit Airline hysteria show. I watched a girl demand a refund, demand a supervisor all while claiming she was insulted by the snickering of the girl giving out meal voucher tickets. Now the only girl at the ticket counter and the supervisor are defending themselves from this girls wrath while the people waiting for vouchers are placed on hold. This upsets the guy next in line and my live entertainment gained momentum. Having used my tablet as a means to look as though I was not completely drawn in to the nonsense, I decided to jot down the dialogue to share with you:

Guy: Can you stop talking and wasting everyone else's time? We are tryng to get our meal vouchers.

Girl: Im'sorry, I'm not talking to you. Mind your own business.

Guy: I can't mind my own business when you are complaining and taking up all the employees.

Girl: (points her finger at the guy) Shut up and mind your own business

Guy: Don't talk to me like I'm your kid. I'm not your kid. Shut up and sit your fat ass down.

(Gasps throughout the entire terminal, everyone stares at each other in disbelief. Especially since everyone was probably thinking the same thing about her ass. Mean i know but it was massive)

Girl: Don't talk to me like that.

Guy: Stop your bitching and sit down.

Girl: I can't talk to you and someone else at the same time. So shut up and sit down with your Elvis hair cut.

(Nobody gets the Elvis hair reference and it ends)

The moral of this story is to avoid flying Spirit if at all possible. I know things happen but i was most frustrated with the lack of communication. People were talking amongst each other during the four hours and this was the general consensus. Get it together Spirit! You are not that cheap and even with the fifty dollar credit I am supposedly getting for a future flight, I will not be flying with you again. Thank goodness I opted for two one way tickets and will be flying southwest back to chicago.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...