Justin and I celebrated our third anniversary last week. We are postponing actual celebrations until the end of the month, but our weekend was not wasted! Our friend Keith was in town from New York and we made our way to the city for the first time since August. While Keith was here, we were also able to [finally] try Ethiopian food. I hadn't the slightest idea what Ethiopian food was like, and the thought of eating with my hands frightened me further. There is no worse feeling than having no idea whether the food you ordered will be good, especially in a state of absolute hunger! For whatever reason, we had not eaten much all day and I could only hope that my food would be edible and to my liking. Luckily, the food was outstanding! Justin, Keith and I ordered our own separate entrees but all of our food was served together on a large circular plate. Because my only experience with eating with my hands was at Medieval Times, I was worried. But with the use of every square inch of my napkin, I survived. If you haven't tried Ethiopian food, you are missing out. Go now!
(this is not our actual food. it was too intimate of an environment for me to be flashing away with my camera.)

Keith and I watched a lot of 'America's Next Top Model' while he was visiting. After hours of blaming Justin for not getting ready and Justin blaming our delay on Keith and I watching television, we finally made our way to the city. For those who may be confused by my reference to "the city," let me explain. We live in Chicago, but Chicago is a large city. The touristy, downtown area is basically known as The Loop, and this is by comparison to where we are located, "the city." We definitely do not live in the suburbs, but we don't live by Sears Tower either. We are considered the north side of Chicago.
We met up with Keith's friend, who lives on the south side of Chicago, downtown. We did very touristy things like walk down Michigan Avenue, visit the bean and eat dessert at Ghirardelli. But the best part of the night was when we randomly ended up in front of a loud rap festival. We joked about how Kanye would be making an appearance, but after discovering that Kanye was a Chicago native we became convinced that Kanye really was at this festival. We obviously could not get in with our lack of tickets, but the fact that I wasn't in a really sexy dress and the guys weren't wearing baseball caps with the size sticker still attached didn't help either. Justin and Keith pulled out their phones and we attempted to Google a possible appearance by Kanye. We were unable to find any information before Justin's phone died but found ourselves convinced that the interrupting-taylor-swift-douche-bag was there. We asked several people working the venue who was performing, but everyone was very hush-hush and claimed they didn't know. Eventually, I asked a security guard who again acted as if she was telling me an ancient secret as she quietly replied, "Kanye." We were satisfied and Kanye continued to be the topic of our jokes the rest of the night.
The next day, we headed back to the city. Keith, Keith's friend Dennis, Justin and I made our way to the architectural boat tour. This was also the third time Justin and I went on this tour. We decided to head over to Gino's East for some deep dish pizza and were welcomed with a line out the door. We decided to wait however, and joked about how Kanye was probably making an appearance that night at Gino's. Over and hour later, we finished our pizza and decided to ride the train back to our apartment to play Beatles Rockband. Keith had to leave the next morning at 4 a.m. but Beatles Rockband continued. Bones and I called it a night but the boys apparently played Tetris until the taxi came to pick up Keith at 4.
I guess the only exciting thing that actually happened since my last blog was Keith visiting. It was an exhausting weekend with very late nights, but it was definitely worth the lack of sleep.
Lastly, Justin started and is almost done with his first week of grad school. Justin never really goes into specifics when I ask him about school so I cannot blog about how it has been. But I'm sure if Justin had to write a blog about his first week as a grad student, it would say exactly this:
"It's fine."
No comments:
Post a Comment