The next morning, we woke up and made our way towards Charmer's Cafe. It was nice to take Adena to Charmer's since it was a place I had frequently mentioned in my past blogs. Justin wasn't able to join us due to his busy workload, but we made sure to bring something back for him to eat. After breakfast at Charmer's we walked down to the lake so that D&A could get their first glimpse of Lake Michigan. The weather was really nice that day, but it got pretty chilly the closer we got to the lake.
Our first true tourist stop ended up being Willis Tower (Sears). We had to wait for Justin to make his way downtown, so we walked around and took some photos. Justin and I have been to John Hancock, but this would also be our first time at Willis Tower. We went up 103 floors to the observation deck and began exploring the city of Chicago from above. The most exciting part of Willis Tower was the Skybox, which was a glass deck from floor to ceiling that extended out from the actual building. Pretty scary stuff, but definitely the best part of the experience.
We rushed over to Navy Pier from Willis, hoping to catch the last architectural boat tour. Unfortunately, we were too late, and I am very sad that D&A did not get to experience the educational but fun river tour downtown. We planned on exploring Navy Pier the next day, but since we were already there we walked the entire pier with a churro break along the way. Aside from our first visit to Chicago in March, this was the emptiest we have seen Navy Pier. I guess its more of a warm-weather attraction.
After walking for what felt like an hour, we went to explore Millennium Park. The sun had set while we were walking and by the time we made it to Millennium, it was too dark to capture decent photos in front of The Bean. We watched the ice skating below The Bean and walked over to the fountains. Because of the cold weather, the fountain itself was actually turned off but luckily the light wall thingy with the creepy faces on one side were still up and running.
I don't know about you but when I think of Chicago, I think of the Chicago Theater. Apparently, not everybody else does. Both Justin and Darryl could not understand the importance of seeing this sign and had no interest in seeing it. Regardless, I got my way and we made our way to see the [glorious] sign.
Adena and I decided to bake cookies when we returned home. Darryl criticized our techniques the entire time and eventually took over to show us how it was done (aka, how Reesa gets it done).
Justin had class the next day, but we went to explore more of Chicago. It was a foggy day, and we were happy that we had gone to Sears Tower the day before. Shedd Aquarium was having a free admission day, so we explored the aquarium. The sharks and the dolphin show were not included in the free admission, but we still enjoyed ourselves.
We walked towards Millennium Park in hopes of seeing the Bean during the day. On our way, we stopped at the gigantic Buckingham Fountain. The fountain ended up being much larger than I had imagined and I cannot wait to return when the fountain is actually on!
The best part of Monday was wedding dress shopping with Adena and Darryl. Adena looked absolutely amazing in the dresses she tried on and she could not have picked a more beautiful dress for her wedding day! Seriously, what an amazing experience. She said yes to the dress!
Sadly, Adena and Darryl had to leave. Even though they only had two and a half days, they covered a lot of ground here in Chicago! Hopefully they enjoyed their time and will be visiting again next year! See you guys back in California!
1 comment:
By far, best trip ever! I wish Chicago was closer so that we could visit more often
Post a Comment