The orientation was hot, long and kind of boring but once it was over we stayed and walked two dogs, picked up poop in baggies and played with dogs in their yard.
The very first dog we walked as DAWG volunteers was Cookie. Cookie was a larger chihuahua mix with black and white spots. She was my favorite dog there and although I was sad to find her no longer at the shelter when we returned, Justin and I are happy that she found a loving home.

That same day we played with Georgia and her yard buddy. Georgia was very shy and obviously not well socialized with people. It took awhile for her to warm up to us but by the end of our time there we were able to pet her. When we returned today, she did not remember us and we had difficulty getting her anywhere near us.
GEORGIA
Loves: to run over to the opposite side of wherever you are

Today, we walked and encountered a different group of dogs. Justin always wanders over to the big dog section, and I am easily drawn to the smaller dogs. It was fairly warm today so we could not walk the dogs for a long period of time, but after much consideration we took Henry on our first walk of the day. Our first impression of Henry was that he was really ugly. But once we took him out and the wind began to blow his floppy hair in different directions, we quickly realized that we were wrong! Look how cute Henry is. By the end of our walk, he could not wait to get back to the shelter. This made Justin and I question our walking skills and our likeability. What kind of dog at a shelter would rather return to the shelter than go on a walk with two great people like us?
HENRY
Loves: to pretend like he wants to go on walks when all he really wants to do is relax
HENRY
Loves: to pretend like he wants to go on walks when all he really wants to do is relax
Justin finally got to walk one of his manly big dogs, a four-month old, 50lbs, pit bull mix named Brandy. She ended up being a great dog and even showed us her tricks!
BRANDY
Loves: to show off her tricks, especially her shake. Will do tricks for a treat!


Last but not least, we went in to walk the dog I had been eyeing since I got there. Buddy the shih tzu was friendly, kept sticking her tongue out and reminded me of our little Poopie back in Riverside. I went in to put her harness on but she wanted to lay back while I pet her and wanted to play with her orange octopus toy. She was definitely my favorite dog of the day. While Buddy and I played tug-of-war with her octopus, a man walked by and became very interested in Buddy. Hopefully the next time we visit, she will have found a loving family.
BUDDY
Loves:her orange octopus. Back off!
BRANDY
Loves: to show off her tricks, especially her shake. Will do tricks for a treat!
Last but not least, we went in to walk the dog I had been eyeing since I got there. Buddy the shih tzu was friendly, kept sticking her tongue out and reminded me of our little Poopie back in Riverside. I went in to put her harness on but she wanted to lay back while I pet her and wanted to play with her orange octopus toy. She was definitely my favorite dog of the day. While Buddy and I played tug-of-war with her octopus, a man walked by and became very interested in Buddy. Hopefully the next time we visit, she will have found a loving family.
BUDDY
Loves:her orange octopus. Back off!
3 comments:
You're fast! I practically just got home from Reesa's and you already posted a blog, haha
All of them are so cute! I would want to take them all home! What a fun volunteer job.
A cat volunteer at Petsmart allowed me into the back where I got to play with the cats and kittens. Someone returned a 12 year old female and she looked SO sad...it broke my heart. Then there was this little gray and peach kitten with really long legs that just wanted to play and play. I fell in love.
I got the number of the lady to call so I can be a volunteer too. I just might do it for about an hour a week. It's just hard for me because I don't want to leave any of them, so I don't know if I can do it without feeling heartbroken every time I spend time there!
I can't believe I missed this post! I volunteered at the Humane Society for a while (cat volunteer though, not dog). I have to say, it was genuinely one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I hope you enjoy your time as well!
Post a Comment