Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hip Hip Huet

Today turned out to be a great day. Since I didn't have to go to work until three, we decided to head down to the Blackhawks practice at Johnny's Ice House. Justin attended a practice several weeks ago and ever since finding out that Cristobal Huet gave away his stick, I could not wait to attend a practice. We met my Blackhawks partner in crime/co-worker Amanda and I was pleasantly surprised to see how intimate the practice was for us fans. We watched the team do drills and play against each other..bla bla ... let's just jump to the best part of the day!

Justin decided to stay upstairs while Amanda and I made our way downstairs to catch a glimpse of Huet. For those who do not know who are unfamiliar with Huet, he is one of our goalies. He has had a terrible season with the criticism of all of Chicago lying on his shoulders. Amanda, Justin and I still support the poor guy. I support him so much that I actually own his jersey. This is not to say that I wear my jersey with pride... because as of late, I don't even take my jacket off at games.

I put my jersey up against the glass hoping that he would see that someone out there actually has his jersey. Amanda and I were pleasantly surprised to find him not only looking our way but waving to us with a huge smile on his face. We are pretty sure that we made his day. He definitely made ours! Amanda and I found ourselves squealing like little girls, giving each other high fives at the fact that Cristobal Huet acknowledged us! Being a Huet supporter finally paid off. It is hard to put into words the brief moment we had with our Huey.

Unfortunately, because we walked downstairs, we missed out on getting his hockey stick. Justin continued to remind me that we should have listened to him and stayed upstairs. If we would have stayed upstairs, would Huet have waved to us with a huge smile on his face? Probably not.

We missed out on a stick. But we also missed out on a puck from Patrick Sharp today. At some point during their practice, Patrick Sharp looked up in our direction. Justin was oblivious to all of this because he was watching some sort of drill. I made eye contact with him but looked away because I was confused and felt uncomfortable. Apparently, Amanda knew exactly what was going on and could not believe that Sharpie was trying to get our attention to throw us a puck. Because I looked away in fear and Justin was distracted, he threw the puck to the people right below us. Maybe next time? Justin should have been paying attention.

I cannot wait to attend another practice. Hopefully my work schedule allows me to make my way to Johnny's Ice House again. Next time, I am determined to either get Huet's autograph (so I can officially retire his jersey) or get his hockey stick. As for Amanda, she needs to have her awesome bag autographed!

Hope everybody is enjoying the start of the Stanley Cup Playoffs! We know we are!

2 comments:

Courtney S said...

Oh no! Were you like the groupies that Joseph was telling me about when he went? Maybe you should become one of those ice girls that shovel ice during games =P

I don't blame you, if it was the Cavs I'd be the same way =).

Trish said...

:D I would've done the same thing! It's totally understandable. Exciting...probably for Huet as well as for you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...