Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hello Fake-y

During our trip to New York, we made our way down to the land of indistinguishable knock offs, Canal Street. I had very high hopes and had plans to see this knock off mecca for myself. As we made our way down Canal Street, I began to realize that this was a complete let down or we were attempting the Canal Street experience completely incorrectly. Looking back we should have followed the shady man telling us to follow him into the alley if we wanted Chanel.

Once I realized that I would not find hidden treasures on Canal Street we began to entertain ourselves with balls in the shape of a boob, coca cola shaped telephones and many of the quality merchandise available for sale in the variety of Canal Street shops. It is during this time that Justin came across his greatest discovery:

A knock-off Hello Kitty doll.

The idea of a fake Hello Kitty doll was incredibly entertaining until Justin began threatening to buy it for me. As a life-long lover of Hello Kitty, the thought of having to accept this creepy Hello Kitty imposter into my collection really concerned me. I knew that if Justin bought me fake-o Hello Kitty, I would be forced to keep it around out of mere courtesy. In hopes of avoiding such situation, I forced Justin out of the store and we moved on to the next. Unfortunately, this fake-o Hello Kitty had made quite the impact on Justin because he could not stop talking about it. To make situations worse, he actually took MY money, left us saying that he would be right back and not surprisingly came back with a guilty smile on his face. I frantically looked around to see if he had purchased something, but it was not until we left Canal and headed towards SoHo that I noticed an abnormal bulge inside the chest area of his coat. And then it appeared; the imposter.

Justin being the great person he is, handed over the doll while saying "don't say I never bought you anything" and I was forced to carry around the fake-o Hello Kitty for the rest of the day, fully exposed because he did not bother to ask for a bag (on purpose, i am sure).

We left both the authentic and fake hello kitty with our friend Keith and had it shipped back home later in the week. When it arrived, Justin was pleasantly surprised to see his treasure and I have never seen him so excited to see anything remotely Hello Kitty related. It now sits on my bookcase with two other [real] Hello Kitty's and it is a daily reminder of how much I appreciate my thoughtful boyfriend. Thank you Justin!

For those who need to see an authentic Hello Kitty doll:


Believe it or not, one of these are fake.


4 comments:

Sarina said...

HAHHAHAHAH that fake one is so scary! hahahhhahhahahha

itSAMEERacle said...

the fake one looks like evil incarnate. Look at its eyes of darkness, devoid of a soul, it sends chills down my spine.

Trish said...

The fake one looks like it's head is about to spin around. Be careful when you sleep at night, Meesa!

What a loving boyfriend you have.

Adena said...

i think hello fake-y is the malnourished twin of hello kitty no one likes to talk about

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...