This past weekend, I made the long journey to my old hometown to attend and help throw my friend Michelle's bridal shower. It had been at least two years since my last visit to El Centro and I feared not being able to find my way there. I am ashamed to say that I actually Google mapped directions just in case. My last visit to El Centro was on our way back from a Smashing Pumpkins concert in Phoenix. I wanted to share the deliciousness of the imperial valley's mexican food with Justin, but apparently I over-hyped it because Justin was not that impressed. I eventually found my way into El Centro with a more-than-empty gas tank and began to panic at the thought of running out of gas. Considering the fact that I do not speak to most people from back home, I would have had nobody to call for help. I pulled into Costco for gas, saw my high school chemistry teacher, and moved on to Target for some last minute necessities. Not surprisingly, I ran into a few more familiar faces. Luckily, it was Laura's parents and I enjoyed running into them after years of not seeing them.
The bridal shower was small, but it was definitely a success. We played games, ate and caught up on high school memories, cheer memories, and asked Michelle at least an hour's worth of questions about the upcoming wedding.

Michelle and her cupcakes!

Michelle and Angie

Michelle and I met our freshman year of high school. Frightening to think that, that was eight years ago. She and I both came to high school having been separated from most people we went to junior high with. She came from Holtville, and although I spent the last month of eighth grade in El Centro, I came from a junior high in Chico. We became great friends, and throughout the years, we shared memories on the drill team, the cheer squad and associated student body. It is hard to believe that Michelle will be a married woman in less than two months, but I know that she and Jack will be nothing less than extremely happy.

For those who do not know where El Centro is located, shame on you. It is only the greatest hidden treasure in California. I would consider making this your next family vacation destination.
I kid.

1 comment:
I like your dress! I also noticed cacti in the background of one of the pictures...very El Centro lol
and stop overhyping things!
Post a Comment