Monday, August 24, 2009

Glorious Landlords

Oh the joys of renting! Too bad for my previous landlord, I am not a pushover.

In my landlord's attempt to deduct bogus late fees from my security deposit, both Justin and I are battling him via emails to ensure that he understands that I will not be taken for an idiot. Luckily for me, Justin is there to hold me back from writing what I really want to say and for grammatical support, of course. I would prefer to rent from a large corporate real estate company because when dealing with situations such as these, it does not become personal. My year in Santa Barbara was the first time I had an actual landlord, as I had previously always rented from a company that owned a bazillion units and multiple complexes. Having a landlord, especially a landlord who lives behind your apartment, is an uncomfortable living situation and we basically walked on eggshells for an entire year. Now that there is a discrepancy in the security deposit, its much harder to be sarcastic and down-right bitchy to someone that is not some corporate office worker.

This situation has escalated and I am beginning to feel stressed, but I am certain that a resolution will be reached and my security deposit partially returned. It is my hope that I will never have to rent from an actual landlord again! So for those who are currently renting, know your contract well and stand up for what is right!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...