
I voted in my very first presidential election today.
When i turned 18, i wanted to vote just to vote. My opinions on political matters have always remained indifferent. American government was my least favorite class in high school and I put off taking a political science course until my very last quarter at UC Riverside. I completed this course having learned a lot, but it had not changed my views on politics. At about this time, I began to notice that everybody was talking about the upcoming elections. Everywhere Justin and I went, everywhere we ate it was Obama, Hillary and a little bit of McCain. Long story short, I had not planned to register to vote in this year's presidential election.
Justin and I have become really addicted to The Colbert Report. It is recorded nightly on our DVR and we have not missed an episode. I can't be positive, but I believe watching the show has played a big role in our new found interest in the election this year. But then again, we should probably credit ridiculously dumb bulletins on Myspace as well. Outrageously bogus, naive and thoughtless bulletins greeting us upon login really enabled both Justin and I to actually do our research in order to rebut to the nonsense. The frustration of having to read these bulletins, turned into an incentive for us to become involved, which in turn became our political stance. In the end, Justin still chose not to register, but I am happy to have progressed to where we stand in this election, together.
I am glad I did not vote in 2004. I am proud to say that as a first time voter I did not cast my vote blindly and look forward to next four years.
No comments:
Post a Comment