Congratulations America! Last night we witnessed the amazing capabilities of a democracy. I am sure this saying has been said a thousand times over, but it can't be helped. We have witnessed the making of American history.For me, watching the Obama family take center stage in Grant Park proved to be the greatest moment I have seen on television. I do not know if it was the music in the background, or the hundreds and thousands of supporters shown in the audience, but what I saw on television last night was unbelievable. Justin says he's seen better.
As Colbert would say, I would like to give a tip of the hat to America but a wag of my finger to California. Once Obama was announced as the winner, Justin and I directed our attention to Prop 8. We must have refreshed the same CNN page a hundred times. Little by little, we saw the results come in from each and every county. The majority of the counties that voted NO on 8 fell along the coast, and only a few inland counties voted NO. Looking at the results, most of the Yes voting counties with larger amounts of votes were predominantly farming communities (such as my hometown county, Imperial), or conservative Christian counties like Orange County. Although all the precincts have not reported, the majority have. We are currently waiting on San Bernardino and Riverside county but have already considered it a loss. Both counties are in favor of Prop 8. 
Yes on Prop 8 proves to be discriminatory, unfair and Justin and I are both very disappointed in California. Gay marriage being banned is no different than telling fat people marriage is no longer a right for them because its wrong (to be fat) and disgusting (to Justin). November 4, 2008 marks a day where some Californians felt they had the right to take away rights from other Californians. To people who are in such support to ban gay marriage, i have to ask, what are you so afraid of? Seeing people in the picture above begs me to ask the question over and over. To the man in the blue shirt- what are you afraid of? To the younger one on his left- what are you so afraid of? When looking at this picture I see people celebrating relief because for whatever reason they are so unbelievably afraid.
Supporters of the ban can argue on the basis of religion all they want. But you cannot impose your religious beliefs, morals and teachings on the entire state of California. When I think about this proposition and what it really stands for, I am angered that we live in a country with (what is supposed to be) a secular government yet I was one of many forced to vote in order to defend that. Shame on you, California.
On a more positive note, we are proud to reside in Santa Barbara county where the majority of votes supported NO. And we got the Speed Train!
No comments:
Post a Comment