There is no doubt that I am Asian, specifically Korean. Unfortunately, there is much more to be Korean than being born Korean. My parents sent me to Korean School on Saturday's all throughout my childhood and for that I am grateful. Even though I missed out on fun-filled Saturday's with most of my friends, I am to this day able to read, write and speak (really terrible) Korean. Sadly, when friends ask me questions related to the Korean culture, or even about how to say a certain phrase, I am pretty worthless.
Last weekend, Justin and I went out to Korean BBQ with Justin's brother Darryl and his fiancée (and my good friend) Adena. This was my opportunity to possibly redeem myself as a Korean. Especially since Adena has mentioned that I remind her of things she has read in the book "Things White People Like," implying that even Adena has very little faith in my abilities as a true Korean. According to Justin, I ordered all the wrong things and this was the worst of all his Korean BBQ experiences. In my defense I felt pressured and I rarely go to a Korean restaurant and order my own food. I pick something on the menu, and my dad usually translates my english and orders in Korean. I don't think I have even asked for a glass of water at a Korean restaurant without the help of my dad! Pretty sad.
I have promised Adena and Darryl that the next time we go, I will fully prepare and properly do my research beforehand. Regardless, I enjoyed spending time with Adena and Darryl especially since it would be the last time we saw them before moving to Chicago. Hopefully it was not as bad as Justin claimed it was!
Just remember, if you ever have Korean-related questions, ask someone else!
Last weekend, Justin and I went out to Korean BBQ with Justin's brother Darryl and his fiancée (and my good friend) Adena. This was my opportunity to possibly redeem myself as a Korean. Especially since Adena has mentioned that I remind her of things she has read in the book "Things White People Like," implying that even Adena has very little faith in my abilities as a true Korean. According to Justin, I ordered all the wrong things and this was the worst of all his Korean BBQ experiences. In my defense I felt pressured and I rarely go to a Korean restaurant and order my own food. I pick something on the menu, and my dad usually translates my english and orders in Korean. I don't think I have even asked for a glass of water at a Korean restaurant without the help of my dad! Pretty sad.
I have promised Adena and Darryl that the next time we go, I will fully prepare and properly do my research beforehand. Regardless, I enjoyed spending time with Adena and Darryl especially since it would be the last time we saw them before moving to Chicago. Hopefully it was not as bad as Justin claimed it was!
Just remember, if you ever have Korean-related questions, ask someone else!

6 comments:
oh meesa! you're so cute. white in many ways according to the book, but asian enough to be hassled by the waitress. we had fun! and we didn't know any better about the food, so we were satsified, haha. i'm so sad you're leaving! next korean bbq visit: chicago!
pretty sure I'm more Korean than you are! hahaha that food looks good by the way..Justin's just hatin' lol
I know you did a great job ordering when Nate, Ethan and I went with you. It was great.
pretty sure Korean BBQ sounds about as shady as Mongolian BBQ...
bonni you are loca to the max
Talk about being too hard on yourself! I'm sure you did just fine. Although, I can relate. I'm Jewish and wouldn't know the first thing to do on Passover! haha!
Nice pictures! Darryl and Adena look like they're enjoying themselves! Wish we could've joined you!
Post a Comment