Sunday, July 5, 2009

To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before?

As most of you know, I patiently waited before seeing the new Star Trek film. I endured, and came to enjoy every single original Star Trek episode and movie. Do not take such a task lightly as both Justin and I dedicated months of daily Star Trek-watching. With the passing of each episode, I found myself constantly asking Justin if we could go see the new film. Everybody I knew had already watched it, and as a newly dedicated Star Trek fan, I felt frustrated with how behind I was getting on all the hype.

We found ourselves in Chicago and after discovering the IMAX theater at Navy Pier, we decided it was finally time. We bought our tickets ahead of time, picked our seats and waited for the end of the day to arrive. I had high hopes since most of the reviews had been good and I had come to really enjoy Star Trek overall. Unfortunately, I left the theater with an overwhelming feeling of confusion. Initially, I wasn't even disappointed. Just really confused. I had a lot to think about and it would take time for me to properly absorb what I spent the last two hours of my life watching.

Eventually the disappointment set in, and I became a critic of all the mistakes the movie had made. Have these people ever watched an episode of Star Trek? If they did, there wouldn't have been a romantic relationship between two specific characters (do not fear, I will not ruin it for you). Sadly, the movie was not as good as I had hoped. But I suppose that was partially my own fault for hyping it up.

I have forgotten about the new film, and have moved on to watching 'The Next Generation' episodes. Nothing will compare to Captain Kirk, Spock, Dr. McCoy and Scotty but TNG (the next generation) cast has become well worth watching!

1 comment:

Adena said...

perhaps if the writers of the movie were as hardcore as you guys, and had also speant several months watching nothing but star trek episodes (in chronological order), the movie would have been worth the cost of your movie tickets. i think you should write to Spock to get your money back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...