As most of you already know, Bones became a big brother. We knew our next dog would be a black pug and that his name would also be Star Trek related. We chose to name him after Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge from The Next Generation. For those who are not familiar with him, he wore the visor over his eye. And he's the Reading Rainbow guy! Does that help? If not, click here.
Geordi is an 11 week old pug and he is pretty stinkin' cute. I hate to say this but as cute as Geordi is, no dog will ever be as cute as Bones. Maybe we are biased because Bones was our first baby but Bones (in our opinion) is a pretty stellar dog. I contacted a breeder and she happened to be making a trip to Chicago to deliver a female pug to another family. She brought along her other puppies so that I could see them in person. Justin was unfortunately unable to be at home so it was up to Bones and I to make a decision.
Three puppies came galloping through our house and as cute as they all were, one stood out. "Male Baby A" as he was called ran in the house, chased Bones around, picked up a ball and made himself comfortable on Bones' bed. He seemed to be the closest one in energy to Bones and we needed an active brother. "Male Baby A" seemed unafraid of Bones and this was his best quality. He made no apologies for playing with Bones' toys. Before we knew it, Bones had a baby brother and we became a family of four.
I was fairly nervous about Justin's reaction because he was unable to take part in selecting the puppy. But in the end, I think Justin is happy with little Geordi. As excited as I was and still am, I am beginning to realize how stressful two dogs can be. Not because they are destructive but because I am so concerned about both of them being happy. Until I see constant snuggling and affection, I will continue to worry. I know it takes time. My biggest concern is Bones and his thoughts on all of this. We know he is excited but I can only imagine how hard it must be to have to share a Mom and a Dad who have always been 100% devoted to him. We are trying really hard to make sure that Bones does not mistake Geordi as his replacement. For the first time, we are seeing a glimmer of jealousy in Bones. But even with his jealousy, he will not leave little Geordi alone and as I write this blog, I am already seeing them acting like brothers.
Luckily for Geordi, he has just about everything a puppy could want or need. But to be fair to him, we will have to buy him his own new toys so he doesn't have to get the stink eye from his big bro. Everything from his crate, his bed, food bowls and harness are hand me downs from Bones.... not that he minds. We were better prepared for Geordi than we were with Bones but for whatever reason, the second time around makes me incredibly nervous. I suppose its the difficulty of trying to please both dogs.
Now that Bones is no longer an only child, I feel closer to him. It makes me really emotional to think that Bones and I will no longer have our alone time together. While Geordi was asleep last night, I found myself taking advantage of that time by having one on one time with my baby Bones. Luckily for Bones, Geordi sleeps in his crate next to our bed. I think it is nice for Bones to have this time alone with us. Eventually Geordi will make his way on to the bed but we want to refrain from stressing Bones out all at once.
Bones showing Geordi how modeling is done
I forgot how much work a puppy can be. Waking up at six in the morning and going outside in the 10 degree weather for potty is not my favorite part of puppy ownership. Waking up ten minutes after coming back indoors because he had to poop isn't much fun either. It is hard to believe that Bones was once this little and again it makes me really teary-eyed thinking about how much he has grown. What will I do when I have kids? There is no doubt that I will be a constant sobbing mess.
We cannot wait to see the relationship Bones and Geordi will form and can only hope that we made the right choice. Even though this adjustment period is hard for Bones, we know that he will become an amazing brother.
Geordi is energetic but we are doubting his ability to keep up with Bones. Now we realize that Bones is a super pug because he had (and still has) so much energy and Geordi sleeps a lot more than Bones did as a puppy. On a different note, I can already tell that Geordi is going to be a shoe eater. We were lucky with Bones because aside from the normal puppy teething he never chewed things up unless they were toys. Geordi on the other hand, is already making out with my shoes and Bones' food bowl.
The joys of raising a puppy....wish us luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment