Sunday, January 17, 2010

Moleskine

There are many things in life that I love. Aside from the obvious (family, Justin, Bones and friends), I love Star Trek, talk radio, musical theater, pumpkin chai at Argo...really, I could go on for hours. Last year, I decided to buy a Moleskine notebook for our spring break trip and fell in love.

What is a Moleskine (pronounced mol-a-skeen-a)? It is an Italian brand of notebooks, journals, calendars and who knows what else. People say that Moleskine books were used by famous people such as Hemingway and Picasso. As cool as this may be, this is not the reason I am drawn to these brilliantly simple notebooks. To be honest, I have no idea why I love Moleskine notebooks. With every visit to Borders, Barnes and Noble and now Blick Art Store, I find myself wanting to buy more. With the lack of productivity in my life, I have no actual use for them. But every time I hold them in my hands, I am quietly convincing myself that with this purchase I will do more. Write more. Study more. Organize my life more.

The evidence of my failed attempts to inspire myself is displayed on our bookshelf as many unused Moleskines. This is not to say that I will never use them.

During a trip to Blick Art Store last week, I purchased a packet of large ruled black Moleskines. This pack has a purpose as in the moment I held these, I told myself I would study physics. They have been patiently sitting on my counter and today, I decided to open them. Upon removing one notebook from the pack, I discovered a wonderful quality of Moleskines: they smell absolutely amazing!

Now that I have ripped open the packaging, I am forced to follow through with the promise I made to myself before purchasing the notebooks. It is my hope that this time, the Moleskin motivation will help me become more productive.

Go buy yourself a Moleskine. Write in it, smell it, let it sit on your bookshelf. These notebooks are magical.

2 comments:

Sarina said...

these look really cool!!

Courtney S said...

We'll study together and maybe I'll pick myself up a couple to join you!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...