I got to dissect multiple cow eyes today! Unlike most people I know, I never got to dissect anything in elementary, junior high or high school. In college, I took my first upper division entomology course and dissected a grasshopper under a microscope. Not only was dissecting a grasshopper difficult due to its size, it was unbelievably boring. A few days ago, I noticed a box at work, and when I peeked at the invoice I discovered that the box contained cow eyes. Dr. Luke gave me the opportunity to help him at an elementary school science night. I assumed I would stand by, help set up, and possibly touch an eye here and there. But to my surprise, I had the chance to be hands-on in helping the kids dissect. For the first time, I was able to see the diagrams of the eye in my textbooks come to life. Not only was it an educational opportunity for myself, but it was an educational experience for the kids and their families. The majority of the kids were not squeamish, and could not wait to get their hands on the eyes. I was surprised to find that kids are definitely braver than their parents! By the end of the night, we had dissected all twelve eyes, and our booth was without a doubt a huge success! If the thought of dissected cow eyes makes you sick, do not scroll below!






3 comments:
sweet pics, your phone is nice. thanks for your help you did a great job. Your right those kids are braver than the parents. Some of the parents seemed shocked when their kids wanted to dig in.
i did that in anatomy class! i'm sure you understand it a lot better than i did, though. haha
Very cool!
Post a Comment